BUILDING was actually really easy even though some of my boards were not cut exactly straight or the right size. Home Depot was nice enough to cut everything for free but I guess its hard to get everything exactly perfect. So a little wood filler helped fill in some of the spaces. I could have gone back and got my door trims cut better but I had already been twice just for them and they still couldn't get them right. I guess it is hard to cut thin short strips. There is a second shelf but there wasn't a lot of space between them so I left one out. Also, "2x3's", or any other somethingxsomething is not exactly that measurement, so, get the real "2x3" and don't get a piece cut that is 2x3. Does that make sense?
PAINTING took forever! I primed the unit then had to do 3 coats of white so that the grey prime wasn't showing through! After that I skipped the primer on the smaller pieces and did 2 coats white and it worked. The green in the back wasn't exactly what I was hoping it would look like (too light) but it will work for now.
HINGES for the doors were the worst part of all! I went 5 times to Lowes to buy and return hinges that were wrong! The trouble was finding a hinge that kept the doors flush to the unit. Each time I went a different person helped me and told me what to get. GRRRRR! I was so frustrated! Finally on the fifth time I got a guy who knew his hinges! So, get butterfly hinges that are fancy looking.
Out of everything the hinges were definitely the hardest part of the whole project!
cost of wood ~ $80
Hinges and knobs ~ less than $10
For my first wood project EVER I think it looks pretty darn good!
you can build this too and more...click here
It looks friggin' amazing!! Well done! That sounds like one difficult and a bit frustrating project, but the end result was totally worth it. Awesome!!
ReplyDeleteThat looks really good! Wow I am really impressed! Great Job!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Bonnie! What a woman!
ReplyDeleteSuper impressed
ReplyDelete